Team India ended their home season with a eight wicket series win over Australia at Dharamsala. Virat Kohli-led side beat New Zealand, England and Bangladesh before hosting Australia.
|Team India with Border-Gavaskar Trophy|
The Aussies are formidable opponents. They are proud and professional and they play hard. For the Aussies, only winning matters. Everything else is a waste of time. But this series saw a dramatic role reversal, with India trumping the Aussies. It’s been a fiery month, both on and off the field, it was produced riveting cricket, with players pushing the boundaries to get ahead of each other. In this tussle, harsh words were exchanged, allegations and accusations were hurled and charges were made, starting with the infamous Aussie Sikkper Smith's "Brain Fade" moment when he was seeking clue for DRS.
Kohli’s Indian team is more settled, sorted and successful than teams before it. The core group has excellent work ethic and on the bench sits genuine quality, ready to step in if an opportunity was to present itself.
India retained the ICC Test Championship mace and also won a cash award of USD one million for holding on to the top position in the Test Team rankings on the annual April 1 cut-off date.
|S Gavaskar presenting ICC test mace to V Kohli|
1. Ind v Aus, Pune
- Aus won by 333 runs.
2. Ind v Aus, Bengaluru
- Ind won by 75 runs.
3. Ind v Aus, Ranchi
- Match Drawn.
4. Ind v Aus, Dharamshala
- Ind won by 8 wickets.
|Ashwin won the ICC Cricketer of the Year & Test Cricketer of the year award|
|Indian Players with trophies|
|Indian Captains v/s all other opponents|
|Jadeja with Man of the Match & Series awards|
- Jadeja has hit 21 sixes, most by anyone in 2016-17. Bhajji hit 17 sixes 2010-11.
- Jadeja became the third player to take 50+ wickets & 500+ runs in a season. Kapil Dev and Mitchell Johnson are the other two to achieve the feat.
- Jadeja is now the 24th player to score 3000 runs and pick 300 wickets in international cricket. He is the fourth Indian to do so.
- India became the third nation to win Test series against all their opponents at the same point of time. Others are Aus(2004-05 & 2006-07), S Africa(2012-13).
- Since 2008, India now have been won 4 consecutive test series vs Aus, a rare disntiction.
- For the first time, India have won seven consecutive Test series – from 2015 till date.
- It was Pujara's first duck at home, 3rd over all.
- It's the fourth time India have come back to win the series after losing the first Test.
- Pujara, 32nd player who faced 525 or more balls in an innings.
On a funny note, Virender Sehwag, who is also known for witty side, gave out the #ViruGhareluAwards. In his ‘awards’, he awarded following 'titles’ to players from both the Indian and Australian teams :
Viart Kohli -Holder,
Steven Smith -Tubelight,
KL Rahul -Stabilizer,
Ashwin, Rahane- Desert Coolers.